The teeth (dentes) are named from the center and then going laterally:
- Incisor tooth (dens incisivus)
- Canine tooth (dens caninus)
- Premolar tooth (dens praemolaris)
- Molar tooth (dens molaris)
Man has two sets of teeth, the:
- Deciduous (milk) which are also known as primary dentation. The deciduous dentations (dentes decidui) appear between the 6th and 24 months. The first deciduous tooth is the lower central incisor.
- Permanent which are also known as secondary dentation. The permanent dentations (dentes permanentes) appear between the 6th and 25 year. The first permanent tooth is the first molar.